AbstractWe focus on the processes and strategies utilized by entrepreneurs to commercialize new technologies, thereby creating significant change and value in new, or existing markets, i.e. innovation. A cross-industry approach utilizes available theories and strategies applicable to commercialization and innovation. Our contribution is to leverage these theories, but augment their application by informed use of design thinking, and lean entrepreneurial principles to create and apply an iterative and unified framework for innovation. The coupling of strategy with informed execution is intended to provide the entrepreneur (or innovator) with an early and evolving understanding of unmet customer and user need, and how to address that need thru offerings from market entry through growth. We also utilize the “jobs to be done” framework to identify opportunity to create value for the customer/user, and for the entire ecosystem in multi-sided, networked markets. Section One covers our methodology, surveys the extant theories, and provides a framework that is applicable to commercialization and innovation in any industry. Also, we describe in Section One the innovation culture that is needed to drive and support innovation. We present our extension of the Balanced Scorecard – the Innovation Strategy Dashboard - as an appropriate methodology to measure innovation in any organization. Section Two is dedicated to applications of these principles and models to emerging opportunities in Biopharma, MedTech and Digital Medicine. Section Two includes a general healthcare industry overview highlighting its evolution and current challenges. We also include contributed articles pertinent to the production side of the healthcare industry, e. g. marketing and product positioning for biopharma, and further extend the role of design thinking to service design in healthcare. These are followed by several mini-case studies applicable to biopharma, MedTech, and digital medicine.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).