Over the past decades, global health has moved from discrete disease campaigns to major developmental strategies. However, medication affordability remains an important, unsolved challenge for industry and the global community. This effort requires coordinated actions by multiple stakeholders. Industry can play a specific role through responsible, differentiated pricing of medicines. Public policies should incentivize such pricing policies rather than discouraging them by external reference pricing or parallel trade. Providing opportunities for industry to invest in emerging markets sustainably, patients will benefit from greater access and support attainment of the UN Millennium Development Goals.
. Koplan, J.P., Bond, T.C., Merson, M.H. et al. (2009). Towards a common definition of global health. Lancet. 373(9679):1993-1995.
. World Health Organization. (2007). Working for Health: An Introduction to the World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/about/brochure_en.pdf, accessed May 17, 2012.
. U.N. Development Programme. (2012). The Millenium Development Goals. http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/mdgoverview.html, accessed May 17, 2012.
. International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations. (2011). The Pharmaceutical Industry and Global Health: Facts and Figures. http://www.ifpma.org/fileadmin/content/Publication/2011/2011_The_Pharmaceutical_Industry_and_Global_Health_low_ver2.pdf, accessed May 18, 2012.
. Yadav, P. (2010). Differential Pricing for Pharmaceuticals. UK Department for International Development. http://www.dfid.gov.uk/Documents/publications1/prd/diff-pcing-pharma.pdf, accessed March 13, 2012.
. Merck & Co. (2011). Access to Health: Statement of Guiding Principles. http://www.merck.com/csr-bridge/access-to-health-merck.pdf, accessed May 18, 2012.
. Taylor, L. (2011). Drug prices across the EU vary by up to 25%; study. Pharma Times, 27 May. http://www.pharmatimes.com/article/11-05-27/Drug_prices_across_the_EU_vary_by_up_to_25_study.aspx, accessed May 18, 2012.
. Ramsey, F. (1927) A Contribution to the Theory of Taxation. Economic Journal 37(145):47-61.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).