The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, gene editing, and the future of the human race
In this book review and accompanying commentary and Addendum, we focus on 5 principal topics/major themes that are of interest for our readership, with a focus on framing the translation of transformative technology into a platform business model in biopharma. We focus on: 1) the behavioral and personal side of the story of the academic scientist, in this case the principal “code breaker” – Jennifer Doudna; 2) the innovation/technology transfer models, including team building appropriate for successfully translating technology from the academic laboratory into the private sector; 3) the IP considerations needed for broad commercialization and dissemination of pivotal, platform inventions in biopharma; and, 4) framing the issues surrounding the ethical discussion related to use in patients associated with a transformative, gene based technology like CRISPR. We also include an Addendum that covers, 5) Some pertinent, concluding comments on the importance of high–performance, diverse teams for founding, building, and growing successful biotechnology companies.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).