AbstractDeveloping solutions for biopharma/medtech/digital medicine products and services requires a cross-disciplinary team to engage a broad section of the healthcare ecosystem. Unlike technology products, this ecosystem is more complex and involves patients, physicians, providers, payers, and partners. Each of these parties must be engaged to understand overall market need, requirements, and constraints. This article focuses on design thinking as part of the overall strategic and marketing resources that can be used to observe, question, and understand the needs of the entire ecosystem. The interdisciplinary commercialization team can thereby reach a common understanding of the outcome of each component of the job to be done from the perspectives of each party, and thereby achieve overall product/market fit for the product design and overall business model components. This chapter outlines the perspective and approach of Daedalus, a full-service, interdisciplinary product development firm with decades of experience working with medtech companies. The article is complementary and supplementary to the materials on design thinking in Part One of this monograph/special edition. It also covers several examples as mini cases that are pertinent to healthcare from projects undertaken by Daedalus, Inc. from their industry portfolio of achievements.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).