AbstractGrowth thru innovation is a stated goal of organizations ranging from startups to growth companies and to mature, well-established Fortune 500 companies. Different forms of innovation may be pursued depending on the strategic goals of the organization. Smaller entrepreneurial companies, typically startups or “skunk works operations” are well suited to pursue disruptive innovation, or alternatively to create new “blue ocean” markets by exploiting the uncontested space while not unconstrained by an existing (and perhaps profitable) business model that is not well suited to the new markets – Christensen’s Innovators Dilemma. Conversely, incumbents often dominate sustained or incremental innovation for growth of existing markets or customer bases. We highlight below that need- seeking/ customer-driven innovation is predominant in the Silicon Valley innovation ecosystem. Given this success, why is a broader segment of the US economy not following this model?
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).