“Value-based” is the new, hot prefix. Value-based medicine, value-based insurance design, value-based contracting. It seems that everyone agrees that everything should be based on “value.” But do they – really?
Do we really all agree that “value” is the denominator” rather than “price?” Clearly not considering that the “price of medicine” is still very much driving the media and political conversation.
But “value” is what patients care about, because “value” means clinical outcomes.
When patients say, “My drugs are too expensive!” – what do they mean? As a rule it means that their co-pays and co-insurance fees (their out of pocket expenses) are too high. What are we doing about that? Who sets those costs? What do they mean? How do they impact formulary design and … value-based contracting?
Let’s simplify that question: How does value-based contracting impact access and affordability – the only things patients care about and generally the last things that are taken into consideration. And how does it impact PBM and payer profitability?
- https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/17/health/opioid-painkillers-insurance-companies.html?_r=0. Last accessed October 17, 2017
- IMS Database
- http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/health/cigna-oxycontin-xtampza/index.html. Last accessed October 17, 2017
- http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1204141. Last accessed October 17, 2017
- http://www.purduepharma.com/patients-caregivers/responsible-use-of-opioids/. Last accessed October 17, 2017
- Comments made by Derek Daggett, Senior Vice President, SmithRx, at the CMPI/NCPA conference, Principles for Patient-Centered Prescription Drug Coverage, Washington, DC, September 11, 2017
- http://www.stltoday.com/business/a-prescription-for-growth/article_5b8b0a4c-0484-5fe8-a08d-d6f2a99bda8f.html. Last accessed October 17, 2017
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).