Brazil is looking into foreign technology to foster innovation in the countryâ€™s industrial health complex. Biological plants are being built and partnerships with multinationals have been established with the goal to in license technology, manufacture and supply the population with biosimilars made in Brazil. This article brings up-to-date information on the biosimilar market in the country, with information on the public-private partnerships and regulatory approvals. With two biosimilars approved in 2015 and the ongoing development regarding the local pharmaceutical companies, there is a good window of opportunity to create new businesses in the soon to be 4th pharmaceutical spender in the world.Â
Schmidt, M.I., Duncan, B.B., Azevedo e Silva, G., Menezes, A.M., Monteiro, C.A., Barreto, S.M., Chor, D. and Menezes, P.R. (2011) Chronic non-communicable diseases in Brazil: burden and current challenges. The Lancet 377(9781):1949â€“1961.
Interfarma. (2015) ComparaÃ§Ãµes Internacionais no ComÃ©ricio de Produtos FarmacÃªuticos e BalanÃ§a Comercial Brasileira de Medicamentos. Interfarma report, May, http://www.interfarma.org.br/uploads/biblioteca/70-balanaa-comercial-site.pdf, accessed 1 October 2015.
Adriano Massuda. (2015) SeminÃ¡rio Valor EconÃ´mico: IndÃºstria FarmacÃªutica Brasileira_Uma agenda para InovaÃ§Ã£o. Presentation, August, http://www.valor.com.br/sites/default/files/apresentacao_-_adriano_-_o_papel_do_estado_revfinal.pdf, accessed 1 October 2015.
MinistÃ©rio da SaÃºde (2014) Portaria 2531 de 12 de Novembro http://bvsms.saude.gov.br/bvs/saudelegis/gm/2014/prt2531_12_11_2014.html, accessed on 4.10.2015.
MinistÃ©rio da SaÃºde (2014) Portaria 2888 de 30 de Dezembro de 2014 http://bvsms.saude.gov.br/bvs/saudelegis/gm/2014/prt2888_30_12_2014.html, accessed on 25.10.2015
Rocha, M.M. (2013) Drug Registration in Brazil: Challenge or Opportunity. Regulatory Focus http://www.raps.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=5122, accessed on 2.11.2015.
Sheftelevich, Y. and Tripathi, S.C. (2010) Opportunities and Challenges in Latin America. Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News, June 15, 30 (12), http://www.genengnews.com/gen-articles/opportunities-challenges-in-latin-america/3327/?page=2, accessed on 2.11.2015.
Castanheira L. G.; Barbano D. B.; Rech N. (2011) Current development in regulation of similar biotherapeutic products in Brazil, Biologicals, 39(5): 308-311, doi: 10.1016/j.biologicals.2011.06.021.
Business Wire (2015) February 24, http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150224006219/en/Celltrion-launches-world%E2%80%99s-biosimilar-monoclonal-antibody-Remsima%E2%84%A2#.VgGbzN9Viko, accessed on 2/10/2015
Dinwoodie N (2011) Biobetters and the Future Biologics Market BioPharm International 24 (11) http://www.biopharminternational.com/biobetters-and-future-biologics-market?id=&sk=&date=&pageID=3, accessed on 25.10.2015.
Plano Brasil Maior, http://www.brasilmaior.mdic.gov.br/, accessed on 29.10.2015.
Valor EconÃ´mico Especial Desafios da SaÃºde (2013), June 26,
http://www.interfarma.org.br/uploads/biblioteca/52-suplemento-valor-desafios-da-saude-260613.pdf, accessed on 02.11.2015.
Dalgaard, K. Evers, M. and Silva, J.S. (2013), Biosimilars Seven Years : Where are we and whatâ€™s next, McKinsey & Company, February.
Biotechnology Institute, http://www.bioinfo.com/, accessed on 15.10.2015.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).