AbstractValuation is a highly significant process used extensively not only by start-ups seeking Venture Capital (VC) funding but also by large, established companies that are in need to set a price for an acquisition or merger. Such process becomes increasingly complex in the biotechnology sector where the realization of the true value of a firm is largely correlated with the success or failure of lead drug candidates undergoing clinical trials. In this article, the author sets up a simple long-term financial model that aims at providing an easy tool for estimating entrepreneursâ€™ return at exit.
Bogdan, B., and Villiger, R. (2008) Valuation in Life Sciences. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
MorningStar (2011) Risk Premia Over Time Report
Driessen, J., Lin, T., and Phalippou L. (2012) A New Method to Estimate Risk and Return of Non-traded Assets from Cash Flows: The Case of Private Equity Funds. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 47(03): 511-535.
Damodaran (2015) Betas by Sector (US) http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/Betas.html
DiMasi, J. A., Feldman, L., Seckler, A., and Wilson, A. (2010) Trends in risks associated with new drug development: success rates for investigational drugs. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics 87(3): 272-277.
Damodaran (2015) Cost of Capital by Sector (US) http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/wacc.htm
Damodaran (2015) Margins by Sector (US) http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/margin.html
EvaluatePharma Database â€“ Average values for companies with sales between $10 and $100 mn.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).