As the global life sciences industry changes, the most successful regions in attracting inward investment will be those that evolve and adapt to provide the most attractive offer. In Scotland, the government is developing an environment to â€œpushâ€ its life sciences sector to complement the strong â€œpullâ€ that these changes in the global life sciences industry and in investor sentiment have created.
The Scottish Government and the life sciences industry have developed a strategy that aims to anchor in Scotland those businesses that provide vital skills and market access; increase the number of more resilient companies and comprehensive supply chains; and attract new inward investment and talent that will build on Scotlandâ€™s existing capabilities.
The Scottish Government is improving on the countryâ€™s existing strengths and aims to capitalise on prior investment in Scotlandâ€™s research excellence, particularly in areas such as stem cells and regenerative medicine and â€precision medicineâ€, where there are significant current and emerging commercial opportunities.
International Comparative Performance of the Scottish Performance in Life sciences Elsevier, 2013
The economic impact of Scottish universities, Appendix 2, Scottish Enterprise 2012 (from Universities Scotland)
HESA data for 2011-2012 (based on SEâ€™s definition of LS and HESA Research Grants and Contracts category which excludes SFC funding)
PraxisUnico Spinouts UK Survey Annual Report, 2012
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).