After dominating the world tea market since last 170 years, today India became the fourth largest tea exporter. The state Assam, located in the Northeastern end of the country contributes almost 50% of the Indiaâ€™s total tea production and Small tea growers of Assam (STGs) produces around 30% of its total annual production and contributes almost 12% of Indiaâ€™s annual production. Though the use of harmful pesticides and fertilizers by the STGs of Assam is still not recognized and controversial in the state, but it is observed that STGs of Assam hardly follows standard scientific techniques for handling such chemicals. Therefore, maintenance of sound health of STGs and environmental safety is a necessary issue. But, till date no such awareness program was found to be initiated scientifically to teach them about those safety measures. Therefore, there is a great need for immediate implementation of such kind of scientific solutions, basically for storing (micro level) of these harmful chemicals and also for grass root level safety campaign by scientific communities of India including other competent Agencies.Â
The Economic Zone, Jun 26, 2013.
Dhar PK (1997) Assam Economy, 1st Edition, Kalayani Publisher, New Delhi, pp. 206.
Goswami DJ (2013) Use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides in the small tea gardens of
Assam and its effect on environment: a case of Golaghat district. International Journal of
Business and Social Science 2 (2): 135-138.
http://www.teaboard.gov.in (date of accessed: 22nd February, 2014).
Gurusubramanian G, Rahman A, Sarmah M, Ray S, and Bora S (2008) Pesticide usage pattern in tea ecosystem, their retrospects and alternative measures. J Environ Biol (29): 813-26.
http://news.in.msn.com/gandhi/Features_article.aspx?cp-documentid=250139635 (Date of accessed: 10th June)
Dutta P (2014) Crusade for organic tea. The telegraph, 9th March.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).