New anti-tampering technologies and security features along with coding of individual medicine packages can aid in identifying and then reducing harm associated with counterfeiting of medicines. Equally important, however, is effective communication between public sector and private sector actors; this has occurred in the past as evidenced in a joint effort to address a global criminal network. The Pharmaceutical Security Institute is participating in ongoing international efforts to promote the concept of a Single Point of Contact (SPOC) system to further enhance communication amongst the stakeholders. Using this approach, technology and human engagement can promote safety of the global drug supply.
Howett P., Darzi A., Guang-Zhong, Y., et al. (2012). Technologies for Global Health. Lancet. 380: 507-535. http://www.thelancet.com/commissions/technologies-for-global-health.
Prohias, A. Spy Vs. Spy: The Complete Casebook. New York: E.C. Publications, 2001.
Nolan, P. and Lenski, G. (2009). Human Societies: An Introduction to Macrosociology,
Eleventh Edition, Boulder: Paradigm Publishers.
Lenski, G. (2005). Ecological-Evolutionary Theory: Principles and Applications. Boulder: Paradigm Publishers.
Dr. Stephan Schwarze, October 2012, the 22nd PSI General Assembly. According to PSI rules and bylaws, Dr. Swartz comments are his own and do not reflect the views of Bayer Healthcare or PSI.
Rollprint Packaging Products. (2012). Press Release: Rollprint announces color-changing sealant technology for flexible applications requiring additional security, branding advantages. Rollprint.com; 12 Oct. 2012. http://www.rollprint.com/news/news_22.asp. Accessed June 2, 2013. Rollprint has manufacturing facilities near Chicago, Illinois, and is a worldwide supplier of packaging materials for the healthcare and food industries. The company offers a complete range of flexible, heat-sealable materials incorporating film, ClearFoilÂ®, foil, TyvekÂ® and paper.
Avery Dennison. (2012). Avery Dennison Introduces Sharp Tear to Health Protect Pharmaceutical Brands from Counterfeiting. 10 Oct. 2012. http://www.pressreleasefinder.com/newsitem.asp?id=15588&demo=1. Accessed June 3, 2013. Avery Dennison is a global leader in labeling and packaging materials and solutions. The companyâ€™s applications and technologies are an integral part of products used in every major market and industry.
Burhaus, R. (2010). How New Packaging Technologies Are Helping in the Struggle Against Counterfeit Drugs. Pharmamanufacturing.com. 2010. http://www.pharmamanufacturing.com/articles/2010/119.html?page=full. Accessed June 3, 2013.
Nanoguardian. (2008). What Is Nanoguardian? 2008. http://www.nanoguardian.net/what.htm.
FO Security. Focus: Security Features. (nd). http://www.fosecurity.net/en/focus/security-features.html. Accessed June 3, 2013.
Young S. (2012). FDA unveils new device that detects counterfeit drugs. CNN.com. 12 Sept. 2012. http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/11/fda-unveils-new-device-that-detects-counterfeit-drugs. Accessed June 3, 2013.
Global Pharma Health Fund. The GPHF-MinilabÂ® - Protection Against Counterfeit Medicines. http://www.gphf.org/web/en/minilab/index.htm. Accessed June 3, 2013. GPHF is a charitable organization initiated and funded exclusively by donations from Merck, Darmstadt, Germany.
Bogdanich, W. A Toxic Pipeline: Counterfeit Drugsâ€™ Path Eased by Free Trade Zones. NY Times. 2007;Dec. 17.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/17/world/middleeast/17freezone.html?ref=waltbogdanich. Accessed June 4, 2013.
Brown T. Canadian online pharmacy pioneer arrested in U.S. Reuters. 15 June 2012. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/15/usa-canada-strempler-idUSL1E8HFB4N20120615. Accessed June 4, 2013.
Imber S. (2013). Canadian Internet Pharmacy Founder Gets 4 Years In Counterfeit Drugs Case. 2013; Jan. 18. http://www.safemedicines.org/2013/01/fake-online-pharmacy-founder-andrew-strempler-guilty-of-mail-fraud-508.html. Accessed May 30, 2013.
Council of Europe, Committee of Ministers. (2008). European Committee on Crime Problems (CDPC): Report of the Group of specialists on counterfeit pharmaceutical products (PC-S-CP). Appendix: National and International Cooperation to Combat Counterfeiting of Medicines and Pharmaceutical Crimes: A Model For a Network and Single Points of Contact (SPOCs). https://wcd.coe.int/ViewDoc.jsp?id=1304869&Site=CM#P414_54512. Accessed May 30, 2013.
Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation Community, APEC Harmonization Center, and USAID. APEC Life Science Innovation Forum (LSIF) Workshop on Medical Products Safety and Public Awareness and Establishing of a â€œSingle Point of Contact System (SPOCS), May 22-23, 2013: Draft Agenda. 6 May, 2013. http://www.apec-ahc.org/files/Korea%20Agenda%20Public%20Awareness%20and%20SPOC%20Workshop-5-06-13.pdf. Accessed June 4, 2013.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).