While medicines are always expected to be a safe remedy for human ailments, unfortunately, there is also the phenomenon of â€˜unsafe medicinesâ€™ due to unscrupulous elements in society manufacturing and marketing fake, spurious, mislabeled medicines, as well as medicines with sub-standard ingredients. As more and more consumers are adversely affected by these drugs, and global health concerns grow, efforts were needed to bring stakeholders together to address this public health problem. This was the genesis of the Partnership for Safe Medicines-India. Strategic efforts were required integrating a wide array of stakeholders and early and intensive planning. Lessons learned from this experience may be useful for other emerging markets.
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).