UC Davis and its partners are addressing the need for innovation and entrepreneurship in graduate education and training. This paper will showcase the Designated Emphasis in Biotechnology graduate education program, cross-disciplinary partnerships and technology brokering. These interactions can bring diverse groups of individuals together to translate ideas into real world applications. The creation of intellectual and human capital at universities must be linked to financial capital and social capital. This can be accomplished by creating dense social networks. PhD programs in science and engineering must be transformed in order to stay relevant in the 21st century. UC Davis has been addressing these issues for close to 20 years and is now seeing significant outcomes.
Hargadon, Andrew. (2003) How Breakthroughs Happen: The Surprising Truth About How Companies Innovate. Harvard Business School Press.
UC Davis Newservice. (Nov. 2001) $5M commitment to establish new institute for innovation and entrepreneurship. http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=10073
The University of California Office of the President Economic Impact Report. (2011). http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/26271.
Meyers, Frederick J. and Claire Pomeroy. (Sept. 28, 2011). UC Davis Advocates for New Approaches to Biomedical Research; Creating the Future Biomedical Research Workforce. Science Translational Medicine. Vol 3 Issue 102: 1-2. http://www.ScienceTranslationalMedicine.org
UC Davis Partnerships for Innovation Program - Medical Technology Commercialization Clinic. http://www.pfi.ucdavis.edu
Kjelstrom, J.A. and Denneal Jamison-McClung. (2008). UC Davis Biotechnology Programs. In: Y. Friedman (ed.) Best Practices in Biotechnology Education. Logos Press. pp. 85-112.
NRC Report of the National Academy. (2009) A New Biology for the 21st Century ISBN-10: 0-309-14488-4. http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12764
The Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation. (2005) The Responsive PhD. http://www.woodrow.org/images/pdf/ww/WW_AnnualReport05_Web.pdf
Taylor,M. (2011) Reform the PhD system or close down. Nature 472 (261) doi:10.1038/472261a. [Published online 20 April 2011| http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110420/full/472261a.html
Statement of John P. Holdren, Director-designate, Office of Science and Technology Policy. (February 2009) http://fire.pppl.gov/JohnHoldrenSenatetestimony_21009.pdf
The Path Forward: The Future of Graduate Education in the United States. Princeton (April 2010) http://www.fgereport.org/rsc/pdf/CFGE_report.pdf
NSF, Science and Engineering Indicators 2010 (NSF 10-01) (January, 2010)
Milano, C. (July 2009) Venturing In New Ventures. A special article on Entrepreneurship. Science. http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2009_07_17/science.opms.r0900074
Biotech Education. (March 2008) Career Profile Section. Nature Reviews. Vol.7. http://www.nature.com/nrd/journal/v7/n3/full/nrd2542.html
Guimond Gravagna, Nicole. (2009). Creating alternatives in science. Journal of Commercial Biotechnology. 15 (2):161â€“170. http://www.palgrave-journals.com/jcb/
Fenton GM, C Chi-Ham and S Boettiger. (2007). Freedom to Operate: The Law Firms Approach and Role. In: A Krattiger, RT Mahoney, L Nelsen, et al. (eds.). Intellectual ProperÂ¬ty Management in Health and Agricultural Innovation: A Handbook of Best Practices MIHR: Oxford, U.K., and PIPRA: Davis, U.S.A. http://www.ipHandbook.org
Unless specified by prior arrangement, the author agrees to the following terms and assurances:
- For myself and on behalf of the other authors listed on this work, I assign to thinkBiotech LLC the copyright* in the contribution for the full term throughout the world.
- I/we further give to the following assurances
- I am the sole author of the contribution, or, if not, I have the written authority of the other authors to transfer the copyright* to thinkBiotech LLC and give these warranties;
- I and (where appropriate) the other authors are entitled to transfer the copyright to thinkBiotech LLC and no one else would be entitled to prevent us from publishing the contribution;
- To the best of my/our knowledge, all the facts in the contribution are true and accurate;
- The content of the contribution is entirely original to me (and where appropriate to the other authors) or, if not, the written permission of the owner of the copyright in any material copied from elsewhere has been obtained for all media (all such permissions to be attached to the contribution as supplementary files);
- Nothing in the contribution is obscene or libellous;
- Nothing in the contribution infringes any duty of confidentiality which I/or the other authors may owe to anyone else.
- I and/or the other authors have obtained the appropriate clearances from my/our employer(s) or other concerned institution(s).